Skip to main content

Iran news in brief, May 18, 2019



Iran news in brief, May 18, 2019

Insurer Says Iran's Revolutionary Guards Likely to Have Organized Tanker Attacks
The Iranian Regime’s Revolutionary Guards are “highly likely” to have facilitated attacks last Sunday on four tankers including two Saudi ships near the United Arab Emirates, according to a Norwegian insurers’ report seen by Reuters.
A confidential assessment issued this week by the Norwegian Shipowners’ Mutual War Risks Insurance Association concluded that the attack was likely to have been carried out by a surface vessel operating close by that dispatched underwater drones carrying 30-50 kg of high-grade explosives to detonate on impact.
The attacks took place against a backdrop of U.S.-Iranian tension following Washington’s decision this month to try to cut Tehran’s oil exports to zero and beef up its military presence in the Gulf in response to what it called Iranian threats.

23 Prisoners Awaiting Hand Amputation in Tehran Prison
Twenty-three prisoners convicted of theft are languishing in the Greater Tehran Prison awaiting hand amputation. The hand of one of the prisoners is to be amputated in the coming days.
The prisoner has been identified as Alireza Khan Baluchi and reports indicate that his case has been sent to the Sentence Implementation Department.
Iranians are sentenced to amputation for petty theft while state corruption has been institutionalized in the regime.

UK Says British-Iranians Should Not Travel to Iran
British-Iranian dual nationals should not travel to Iran; the United Kingdom's Foreign Office has said.
The Foreign Office changed its travel advice on Friday because of the Iranian regime's "continued arbitrary detention and mistreatment of dual nationals".
The advice has also changed because of Iranian citizens' links with UK institutions.
British nationals, particularly dual nations, face an "unacceptably higher risk" of arbitrary detention and mistreatment than nationals of other countries, the Foreign Office added.
British Foreign Secretary Jeremy Hunt said: "Dual nationals face an intolerable risk of mistreatment if they visit Iran. Despite the UK providing repeated opportunities to resolve this issue, the Iranian regime's conduct has worsened.
"Having exhausted all other options, I must now advise all British-Iranian dual nationals against travelling to Iran.”

NCRI Names 11 New Political Prisoners
The National Council of Resistance of Iran has announced the names of 11 political prisoners arrested by the regime in late April and May.
The main opposition group PMOI had announced the names of 28 other recently detained political prisoners on April 23.
Mrs. Maryam Rajavi, President-elect of the Iranian Resistance, has emphasized that the political prisoners are at risk of torture and execution or long term imprisonment.
She once again called on the UN Secretary-General, High Commissioner and Human Rights Council to take immediate action for their release.

Britain Shares Same Assessment of Iran as the United States
British Foreign Secretary Jeremy Hunt said this week that Britain agrees with the United States that the Iranian regime poses a heightened threat and will work closely with its ally.
Hunt said he had discussed Iran with U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo last week in London, and again in Brussels on Monday.
“We share the same assessment of the heightened threat posed by Iran,” Hunt said on Twitter. “As always we work closely with the USA.”

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Iran news in brief, May 28, 2019

Iran news in brief, May 28, 2019 Anti-Regime Protest Against the Killing of a Young Man A number of residents of the impoverished city of Zahedan attacked and clashed with brutal plainclothes agents of the Iranian regime on Saturday for killing a young Baluchi man. The repressive agents called for backup and fired shots in the air trying to disperse the crowd, fearing that the protest could draw more protesters and turn into larger unrest. The angry crowd attacked vehicles belonging to the state security forces, throwing rocks at them to evade arrest. Earlier, the repressive forces shot at a young Baluchi man called Mousa Shah-Bakhash for not having a driver’s license and ignoring a stop sign. The bullet pierced the young man’s chest resulting in his death. Iran-Supplied Missiles to Houthis Pose Threat to the Region The ballistic missiles owned by the Houthis continue to pose a threat to the region and point to the Iranian regime’s support to militias and terroris...

Iran news in brief, January 3, 2019

Iran news in brief, January 3, 2019

THE MEK AT ASHRAF 3

  Ashraf 3 - Albania THE MEK AT ASHRAF 3 INU - Back in 2013, the small nation of Albania began to take in the first Iranian dissidents from the People's Mojahedin of Iran ( PMOI/MEK ) and offer them refuge after the years of hell they had endured in Camp Ashraf and Camp Liberty inside Iraq. After a three-year-long transfer process, some 3,000 MEK members are safely housed in special accommodation in Tirana, provided by the United Nations High Commission for Refugees. This greatly angered the Iranian Regime, who had spent years trying to assassinate the MEK in Iran and in Iraq, where they were supposed to be protected. Now the MEK, the democratic opposition to the Regime would be able to largely live in peace and safety, which would only allow them to focus more energy on bringing freedom and democracy to the Iranian People. Soon enough, the time came for the MEK to move out of the accommodation arranged by the UNHCR and into their own space...