Skip to main content

Iran news in brief, May 9, 2019



Iran news in brief, May 9, 2019

U.S. Imposes Sanctions Targeting Metal Sectors of Iran Regime
The United States on Wednesday imposed fresh sanctions targeting the Iranian regime's steel, iron, aluminum and copper sectors.
President Trump said in the order released Wednesday:  "It remains the policy of the United States to deny Iran all paths to both a nuclear weapon and intercontinental ballistic missiles, and to counter the totality of Iran's malign influence in the Middle East,".
"It is also the policy of the United States to deny the Iranian government revenue, including revenue derived from the export of products from Iran's iron, steel, aluminum, and copper sectors, that may be used to provide funding and support for the proliferation of weapons of mass destruction, terrorist groups and networks, campaigns of regional aggression, and military expansion."

European Powers Reject Iran Regime 'Ultimatums' on Nuclear Deal
European powers said Thursday that they still backed the nuclear deal with Iran Regime, but rejected any “ultimatums” from Tehran to keep it alive.
“We reject any ultimatums and we will assess Iran’s compliance on the basis of Iran’s performance regarding its nuclear-related commitments” under a 2015 deal, the EU’s foreign policy chief Federica Mogherini and the foreign ministers of Britain, France and Germany said in a statement.

Pompeo Statement on Iran Regime Portrays Close Coordination With Europe
U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo issued a statement on May 8, listing the U.S. administration’s successes in putting pressure on Iran Regime and insisting that Washington remains committed to block Iran’s “paths to a nuclear weapon”.
Pompeo did not shy away from describing U.S. policy as a “maximum pressure” approach to Iran, highlighting efforts to block Tehran’s oil sales and implementing other sanctions.
The secretary of state also portrayed a picture of close cooperation with European allies in countering Iran. He had displayed the same approach earlier in a joint press conference with his British counterpart Jeremy Hunt.

US Official Urges GCC Unity to Combat 'Threat Posed by Iran Regime'
The chairman of the US house for foreign affairs committee has called for Gulf countries to work together to contain what he describes as the "threat posed by Iran Regime".
Eliot Engel said on Wednesday:  "The United States and its Gulf partners share economic opportunities, anti-terrorism concerns and can be working together to counter the threat posed by Iran,".

U.S. Warns European Businesses Against Using Iran-EU Trade Mechanism
The United States on May 8 warned European banks, investors and businesses against engaging with the so-called special purpose vehicle called INSTEX, a Europe-backed system to facilitate non-dollar trade with Iran Regime and circumvent U.S. sanctions.
Tim Morrison, Special Assistant to the President and Senior Director for Weapons of Mass Destruction and Biodefense told a conference: "If you are a bank, an investor, an insurer or other business in Europe you should know that getting involved in the … Special Purpose Vehicle is a very poor business decision,"
He has also called Iran's move to scale back some curbs to its program "nothing less than nuclear blackmail of Europe".
Morrison also said the United States is planning to impose further sanctions on Iran 'very soon'.

UK Says Iran Regime Will Face Consequences If It Breaks Nuclear Deal
Britain said Iran Regime would face consequences if it backed away from its nuclear deal, following Tehran’s announcement on Wednesday that it was scaling back curbs to its nuclear program that had been agreed under a 2015 deal with world powers.
junior foreign office minister Mark Field told Britain’s parliament: “Should Iran cease meeting its nuclear commitments, there would, of course, be consequences,”

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Iran news in brief, May 28, 2019

Iran news in brief, May 28, 2019 Anti-Regime Protest Against the Killing of a Young Man A number of residents of the impoverished city of Zahedan attacked and clashed with brutal plainclothes agents of the Iranian regime on Saturday for killing a young Baluchi man. The repressive agents called for backup and fired shots in the air trying to disperse the crowd, fearing that the protest could draw more protesters and turn into larger unrest. The angry crowd attacked vehicles belonging to the state security forces, throwing rocks at them to evade arrest. Earlier, the repressive forces shot at a young Baluchi man called Mousa Shah-Bakhash for not having a driver’s license and ignoring a stop sign. The bullet pierced the young man’s chest resulting in his death. Iran-Supplied Missiles to Houthis Pose Threat to the Region The ballistic missiles owned by the Houthis continue to pose a threat to the region and point to the Iranian regime’s support to militias and terroris...

Iran news in brief, January 3, 2019

Iran news in brief, January 3, 2019

THE MEK AT ASHRAF 3

  Ashraf 3 - Albania THE MEK AT ASHRAF 3 INU - Back in 2013, the small nation of Albania began to take in the first Iranian dissidents from the People's Mojahedin of Iran ( PMOI/MEK ) and offer them refuge after the years of hell they had endured in Camp Ashraf and Camp Liberty inside Iraq. After a three-year-long transfer process, some 3,000 MEK members are safely housed in special accommodation in Tirana, provided by the United Nations High Commission for Refugees. This greatly angered the Iranian Regime, who had spent years trying to assassinate the MEK in Iran and in Iraq, where they were supposed to be protected. Now the MEK, the democratic opposition to the Regime would be able to largely live in peace and safety, which would only allow them to focus more energy on bringing freedom and democracy to the Iranian People. Soon enough, the time came for the MEK to move out of the accommodation arranged by the UNHCR and into their own space...